Organization: Corporate Functions/Research
Location: USA Negotiable - NY (preferable), Boston, Chicago, or San Francisco
Join Accenture and help transform leading organizations and communities around the world. The sheer scale of our capabilities and client engagements and the way we collaborate, operate and deliver value provides an unparalleled opportunity to grow and advance. Choose Accenture, and make delivering innovative work part of your extraordinary career.
People in the Corporate Function career track contribute to the running of Accenture as a high- performance business through specialization within a specific functional area, and grow into internally focused roles by deepening their skills and/or developing new skills within an internal functional area.
Accenture Research is a global, award-winning team providing insights and analysis to Accenture and its clients throughout the world. Joining Accenture Research translates into continual opportunities to expand on what you can do. Our researchers come together with a wide variety of skills and backgrounds to create talented teams of problem-solvers. We hope you’ll want to join us!
About Accenture Research
Accenture Researchers provide data, analysis and insights to Accenture, working closely with the senior executives in each of the industries, geographies and businesses. We work in four main areas:
- New Business Opportunities: Helping Accenture understand markets and companies and identifying ways in which we can help clients become high-performance businesses and governments. A typical analysis might be an in-depth company diagnostic to look at a company’s financial and strategic health or an overview of a sector of the market to identify trends or assess the impact of regulation, mergers and other landmark events.
- Working Directly with Clients: About 20% of our research is on client engagements where we work alongside our colleagues from the practice to provide research and industry expertise. Typical work with our clients might be to benchmark a capability or function; to provide best practices in an industry; or project future trends and their likely impact on the business.
- Developing Points of View: Accenture needs original, cutting-edge points of view to use with clients, the media and in conferences. Accenture Research helps create and write those viewpoints. Many of our projects are published and quoted in the press. Others form the basis for our issue-driven discussions with clients. In all cases the Manager will be expected to contribute research, writing and thought leadership to these projects.
- Practice Enablement: Developing periodic newsletters and management reports which provide fresh insights on the Technology space for our leadership and consultants so that they can understand client performance and the issues clients currently face.
Successful research is not a back-office activity; it requires people who not only have strong research skills but who also have a client-focused mentality and an outgoing and confident personal style. Successful researchers build deep relationships with their peers and senior executives in the practice and work as a team, sometimes responding to requests and sometimes proposing (and selling) research ideas.
We have nearly 250 researchers in our global team. Most specialize in an Industry (such as Retail) or a Business (such as Strategy or Digital); some bring a particular research skill (such as survey research or financial analysis) and many combine two or more areas of expertise. On any given project we will bring together researchers with the best combination of industry, geographic and technical skills to provide the relevant expertise for the particular task.
The research role we are looking to fill is in the area of what Accenture calls “Accenture Interactive” which reside within our Accenture Digital business. This practice includes areas specific to Digital Marketing, Digital Commerce, Customer Experience and Digital Content Strategy. We are seeking a strong market, competitor and ecosystem research Manager with expertise in this space, New York (preferably), Chicago, Boston or San Francisco.
This role will sit in our global Digital business research team which is comprised of ~20 researchers, based in the main Accenture locations across the world. The candidate will work closely with the Global Digital Research Team Lead and the Global Interactive Research Lead and other Digital research colleagues to define and establish the overall strategy and priorities for IE-related research, skill development and resourcing. This individual will join the team with providing research and topic expertise and community of practice by building capability, appropriately assigning and balancing work, managing related budgets/content, and driving operational excellence.
Research requests will be a mix of global and local projects, both for Accenture, internally, and directly for Accenture clients. On any given day, you will support research needs relevant to core themes related to Customer Experience and/or Commerce, including those related to market opportunity sizing, ecosystem trends, use cases, competitor research, and support for related thought leadership. Increasingly, you will drive research requests into industries and other business areas.
The chosen candidate will:
- Execute the overall strategy, focus and priorities for his/her research customers, in consultation with other stakeholders and colleagues, and with input from the Global Digital and Interactive Research Team Leads.
- Build effective relationships with global and NA-based Interactive executives and SMEs to ensure sponsorship, budget and utilization of research services.
- Perform complex research across related topics and businesses. This includes in-depth research on geographic and/or horizontal segment trends, competitors, industry market trends and issues, and relevant topics utilizing a number of available sources.
- Work closely with other research colleagues in order to remain vigilant regarding opportunities within their sectors and countries as well as resourcing needs.
- Determine required project resources and costs and negotiate scope with customer. Oversee research projects, ensuring budget constraints and project record keeping requirements are observed. Define and manage the quality and quantity of research services.
- Actively participate in general secondary research initiatives, e.g. participating in Research workgroups at local, regional or global level etc.
- Contributing to the development of research assets that differentiate Accenture Research in the market, e.g., forecasting of market trends, modelling of survey data to size markets, impact evaluation of digital innovation, etc.
- Deepening and refining our expertise in emerging technologies sources and subject matter (issues and trends) that are relevant.
- Helping develop more junior researchers to position them to meet client demand
A proven track record of market and competitor intelligence and/or thought leadership-driven projects in new and emerging digital areas would be a definite advantage.
What to expect
Accenture is a company of nearly 400,000 employees working with clients in over 120 countries and your first weeks will be spent getting to know the organization. Building an effective working relationship with other researchers in the Digital and Technology areas of Accenture is critical so your early days will involve many meetings and lots of networking.
At the same time you’ll be getting to know the other researchers in the local team and establishing a relationship with them. As you become more familiar with Accenture you can expect to start work on one or more projects. There is no typical day or project at Accenture Research but you might start by working on an analysis of use cases, developing industry trends or being part of an international study on related topics or issues impacting a range of client industries.
Over time you will find a varied project load develops and that you may be working on between two and four projects at any given time, of different durations and scope. Your success in developing and managing such projects will depend on a good working relationship with the other Digital and Technology researchers worldwide and/or the local team in the US and Canada.
The Digital research team operates mainly on a virtual basis but have regular calls and sometimes the opportunity to “meet” via video conference or live training events. Every few years, the team gets together for a global meeting and has the chance to spend some face to face time with our international colleagues. Otherwise the local teams in the main US offices meet regularly and you will be part of this active and growing Research community.
All our professionals receive comprehensive training covering business acumen, technical and professional skills development. Learning takes place both on the job and through formal training. You will have opportunities to hone your functional skills and expertise in innovative research offerings (such as economic value modeling, data visualization, text analytics, etc.) as well as other business areas.
Accenture Research is genuinely a great place to work. There will be times when you work long and hard but we put life/work balance very high on our agenda. In addition, as part of a global team, we seek to maintain flexibility in our work style. This is a unique opportunity to work for a highly skilled, respected and growing global Research team, particular to only a few consultancies worldwide.
- Reports to: Global Interactive Research Team Lead
- Supervises/Line Manages: With time, the candidate will be asked to supervise at least one analyst or specialist in the Digital research team.
- External Relationships: Awareness of external Subject Matter Experts, information providers/brokers/sources is required, and membership in a professional society would be a plus.
- Location: NY (preferable), Boston, Chicago, or San Francisco
- Preferred start date: ASAP