Organization: Innovation & Thought Leadership/Research
Location: Chicago or New York
Join Accenture and help transform leading organizations and communities around the world. The sheer scale of our capabilities and client engagements and the way we collaborate, operate and deliver value provides an unparalleled opportunity to grow and advance. Choose Accenture, and make delivering innovative work part of your extraordinary career.
People in the Corporate Function career track contribute to the running of Accenture as a high- performance business through specialization within a specific functional area, and grow into internally focused roles by deepening their skills and/or developing new skills within an internal functional area.
*Candidate must reside in the Chicago or New York Areas*
The global Research group provides data, analysis and insights to Accenture, working closely with senior executives in each of its industries, geographies and businesses. Researchers focus on the following four key areas:
- Creating new business opportunities: Researchers assist Accenture to understand markets and companies and pinpoint ways in which the company can help clients become high-performance businesses and governments. A typical project might be an in-depth company diagnostic to look at a client company’s financial and strategic health or to overview a key sector of the market to identify trends, such as regulation, merger activity and other landmark strategic activities.
- Working directly with clients: About 20% of our research is focused on client engagements where we work alongside our colleagues from the consulting practice to provide research and industry expertise. Typical work with our clients might be to benchmark a capability or function; to provide best practices in an industry; or project future trends and their likely impact on the business.
- Developing points of view: Accenture continuously produces original, cutting-edge points of view to use with clients, the media and in conferences. Accenture Research helps create and write those viewpoints, many of our which are published and quoted in the press. Others form the basis for issue-driven discussions with clients. In all cases, the researchers will be expected to contribute research, writing and thought leadership to these projects.
- Supporting Accenture’s Growth & Strategy and Practice Enablement: Accenture Research is part of the company’s Growth & Strategy unit, which is dedicated to the formulation and implementation of Accenture’s Strategy. Typical work includes analysis of competitors’ moves, market trends and impacts for Accenture. Research also develops periodic management reports which provide fresh insights on client performance and the issues clients currently face.
Successful research requires people who not only have strong research skills but who also have a client-focused mentality. Members of our team also possess an outgoing and confident personal style and exceptional communication skills. Successful researchers build deep relationships with their peers and senior executives in the practice continuously responding to research requests as well as proposing (and selling) research ideas.
Accenture Research has more than 250 researchers based in 20+ countries, working as a virtual team of deep experts. Most specialize in an Industry (such as Financial Services or Consumer Goods) or a Business (such as Strategy or Digital); some bring a research skill (such as survey research or financial analysis) and many combine two or more areas of expertise. On any given project, we will bring together researchers with the best combination of industry, geographic and technical skills to provide the relevant expertise.
Accenture Research is part the Accenture Innovation Architecture, and plays a key role in shaping the innovation agenda at our insurance clients, presenting our vision of the industry and helping them in their digital transformation.
About the Role
This opening is for the role of Insurance Research Senior Principal. This is a Senior Principal-level role.
This role is Insurance specific and the successful candidate will focus on developing Insurance research projects with a specific geo focus on North America. The role requires a significant amount of proactivity and creativity, bringing new ideas for research projects to the attention of key stakeholders in the Insurance practice, as well as helping to define and deliver the Insurance research agenda for FY18 and beyond.
This position sits within our global Financial Services research team which consists of 50 researchers based around the world. The successful candidate will work closely with researchers from other geos (especially with Americas-based researchers) to help define and establish the strategy and priorities for North America insurance research agenda and support thought leadership projects, client projects, primary research activity and business/market development for Accenture’s North America Insurance practice, and its clients.
We are looking for someone with
The position is North America based, with either New York or Chicago being considered a priority location for the role.
This person should possess the following skills:
- Subject Matter Expertise/Specialist Knowledge of your sector/specialism: See role section.
- Great relationship building skills: You are expected to generate your own work so you will need have excellent interpersonal skills, be outgoing and able to develop effective relationships with senior personnel from the business. You will be expected work side by side with client teams and leadership, delivering Thought Leadership and research projects.
- Research skills: You should be able to initiate research on new “big ideas” thought leadership projects that you propose and oversee from the beginning till the end of the production. You have also unique communication skills to articulate outputs to the media and to clients. You have some in-depth knowledge of at least one research technique such as strategic analysis frameworks, surveys, economic/financial modeling or technology frameworks.
- Analytical ability: We want researchers who can draw out the implications of the research they do and tell a compelling, business-focused story about the data that is relevant to Accenture’s business and clients. We are looking for insight, for someone who is not afraid of data gathering /crunching and quantitative type analysis who is able to turn this analysis into market and client insights. You need to draw out the ‘so what’ and recommendations for the business and our clients.
- Teaming and communication skills: While you will usually be based in an office with other researchers, the research team is very much a virtual one and therefore you will need to have excellent verbal and written communication skills. You should also be able to demonstrate an ability to work with colleagues from different cultures and in different locations.
- Strong presentation skills: VERBAL: You must be able to present your research findings very well to senior internal audiences and external audiences. WRITTEN: You should have ability to create original storylines and present your findings through interesting text, charts, graphics, podcast and videos. Your written English should be outstanding.
- Technology/innovation mindset: Accenture is a leading global company with a strong focus on technology and how technology is driving business transformation. An understanding of technology trends and an interest in technology is extremely important to succeed in Accenture Research. As a team we place a strong emphasis on being at leading-edge of innovation in research and you will need to demonstrate a willingness to learn new skills, use social media (internal and external to Accenture) to enhance the team’s reputation and to share our research with Accenture and its clients, and be open to adopting the best new analytical and data visualization techniques.
Reports to: The global lead of insurance though will have soft-line reporting relationship with the cross-industry geographic lead for North America.