On track to shared success
Stakeholder responsibility has always been essential in public transit, and with the onset of COVID-19, this has become even more important.
How can public transit operators and agencies survive and thrive in this radically changed landscape?
They need to redefine what responsibility means for them and their stakeholders—customers, employees, regulators, suppliers, partners and investors. To find out what the key priorities and barriers to success are, we conducted research involving 35 senior decision makers and thought leaders across major global transit operators and authorities.
Priorities for success:
- Provide safe, reliable and on-time transport services to commuters.
- Reduce negative environmental impacts of operations and products/services.
- Provide accessible services to the elderly, differently abled commuters and other vulnerable community members.
- Focus on developing services that have a positive human and societal impact.
- Create a more equal workplace culture.
Barriers to success:
- Complex governance model.
- Bureaucracy/cumbersome processes.
- Lack of investment capacity/funding.
- Legacy assets and technology.
- Complexity of working with business partners/suppliers on responsibility-related topics.
The importance of alignment across all stakeholder groups
It is essential for operators and agencies to act as the anchor, working closely with ecosystem partners, ensuring a seamless customer experience and multi-modal services at the lowest possible cost.
Ready to make responsibility a positive driver for your business?
Our research points to five capabilities to accelerate responsible business.
- Innovate with purpose
- Act as an urban mobility mapper
- Put the workforce at the heart of your business
- Shape technology to benefit workers and commuters
- Drive operational agility
Getting a structured responsibility agenda in place across the stakeholder spectrum won’t be easy to achieve, but operators and authorities can take immediate steps and define long-term goals, that will ensure future success.