Malware describes a range of malicious software that includes backdoors and remote access trojans (RAT), information stealers such as banking trojans, spyware, ransomware, downloaders, viruses and worms. Cyber criminals use multiple infection vectors to activate malware and other risky software such as breaching networks, buying account access on the dark web and enticing users to click a dangerous link or attachment in a socially engineering phishing email. Once it gets inside, malware can:
- Install additional harmful software or tools.
- Covertly obtain information by transmitting data from hard drives. and apps (spyware, banking trojans, backdoors, RATs).
- Move laterally through the network to spread itself or other malware.
- Block access to key components of the network.
- Disrupt certain components, damaging files and sometimes. rendering the system inoperable (ransomware).