What are your career plans after university? Before taking a leap of faith in your choices, consider applying for internships first. Learn the best avenue for you to experience a role you're interested in or that is aligned with your studies. Then find out if the role you're after is just what you expected!
Still not convinced? To help you with your decision, we’ve listed down a few main reasons why internships will be helpful for your budding career:
- Work in a real-world professional environment – As an intern, you get to apply the skills, knowledge and theoretical practice you learnt in polytechnic or university. You’ll also develop transferable skills during your internship, such as communication and teamwork. The exposure you get from different markets, industries, projects and clients will help you explore the work you intend to pursue full time. You’ll also have opportunities to learn from seasoned pros about their accomplishments and challenges.
- Find opportunities to learn more about yourself – Your internship will not only develop your abilities but also a greater understanding of self—your personal interests, likes and dislikes. Finding this level of clarity may be difficult, but sometimes, all it takes is to try something new and step out of your comfort zone. Through internships, you get to decide whether you wish to continue with your current industry of choice or try something else.
- Build valuable business networks – Being an intern gives you more opportunities to make connections not just with professionals in the field, but also in related industries. What’s more, internship programs are an excellent chance for you to glean advice on your chosen career path and learn about potential full-time job opportunities.
- Gain an edge in a competitive job market – As there may be hundreds of other candidates vying for the same role, an internship will give you the experience and skillsets that will help you stand out from the crowd. Internship programs will also hone your capabilities and test your drive, motivation and passion as you go through daily tasks. Since internships vary and can introduce you to different organizational structures, you’ll also learn to be flexible and adaptable to the fast-paced changes in a business.
In fact, with virtual internships becoming the norm these days, more students are taking leaves of absence from school so they can take up 6-month internships. Longer term internships will help you integrate your core competencies more meaningfully and understand an industry or role better. Hence, you can attain valuable lessons from internships, which will help you graduate from university with a better understanding of your future.
Join Accenture’s Internship Program!
Our internship program is designed to let you experience our culture, set up your professional network and be part of communities where you can grow meaningfully. As you transition from school to career, we’ll help prepare you for your future.
Here are some tips to help you land an internship with Accenture:
- Double- and triple-check your resume. Your resume should be easy to read and tailored to the job role and industry you’re applying for. When you have a well-written, error-proof targeted resume, you stand a much better chance of getting picked out of the bunch of applications.
- Bring your “A” game to the interview. With social distancing being the norm these days, our interviews are now all conducted virtually. Hence, it’s recommended that you dial-in early for your interviews and look presentable. Download additional video conferencing applications on your phone or tablet as well, since you might not know which platform the interview will be conducted on. Take note of your body language, keep an open mind during the interview and don’t be afraid to ask questions. This might help convey the message that you are a thinker and are truly interested about the internship position and Accenture.
- Know more about us. Do your homework. Prior to the interview, read up on the role you’re applying for and what Accenture does. You may refer to our website and LinkedIn page to find out more about the company.
Are you ready to get involved in doing work that makes a difference and seeing how you can grow as a professional and as a person? Join the Accenture Internship Program today.
Disclaimer: This content is provided for general information purposes and is not intended to be used in place of consultation with our professional advisors. This document makes reference to marks owned by third parties. All such third-party marks are the property of their respective owners. No sponsorship, endorsement or approval of this content by the owners of such marks is intended, expressed or implied.
Copyright © 2021 Accenture. All rights reserved. Accenture and its logo are registered trademarks