Organization: Corporate Functions/Research
Location: New York, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago
Accenture is a leading global professional services company, providing a broad range of services and solutions in strategy, consulting, digital, technology and operations. Combining unmatched experience and specialized skills across more than 40 industries and all business functions — underpinned by the world’s largest delivery network — Accenture works at the intersection of business and technology to help clients improve their performance and create sustainable value for their stakeholders. With 469,000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries, Accenture drives innovation to improve the way the world works and lives. Visit us at www.accenture.com
People in the Corporate Function career track contribute to the running of Accenture as a high- performance business through specialization within a specific functional area, and grow into internally focused roles by deepening their skills and/or developing new skills within an internal functional area.
Research professionals possess deep research and analysis expertise, shaping research, analysis and insights that enable Accenture and our clients to generate global impact through identification, development and implementation of proprietary and innovative ideas.
Accenture Researchers provide data, analysis and insights to Accenture, working closely with the Managing Directors of each of the industries, geographies and businesses. We work in four main areas:
- New business opportunities: helping Accenture understand markets and companies and identifying ways in which we can help clients become high-performance businesses and governments. A typical analysis might be an in-depth company diagnostic to look at a bank or insurer’s financial and strategic health or an overview of a sector of the market to identify trends or assess the impact of regulation, mergers and other landmark events.
- Working directly with clients: client engagements where we work alongside our colleagues from the practice to provide research and industry expertise. Typical work with our clients might be to benchmark a capability or function; to provide best practice in an industry or project future trends and their likely impact on the business.
- Developing thought leadership: Accenture needs original, cutting-edge points of view to use with clients, the media and in conferences. Accenture Research helps create and write those viewpoints. Many of our projects are published and quoted in the press. Others form the basis for our issue-driven discussions with clients. In all cases the Financial Services (FS) Analyst will be expected to contribute research, writing and thought leadership to these projects
- Support to Accenture Strategy: Accenture Research is part of the Growth & Strategy unit which is dedicated to the formulation and implementation of Accenture Strategy. Typical work includes analysis of competitors’ moves, market trends and impacts for Accenture.
Successful research is not a back-office activity; it requires people who not only have strong research skills but who also have a client-focused mentality and an outgoing and confident personal style. Successful researchers build deep relationships with their peers and senior executives in the practice and work as a team, sometimes responding to requests and sometimes proposing (and selling) research ideas.
We have ~300 researchers in our international team. Most specialize in an industry or business line (such as Insurance or Capital Markets); some bring a particular research skill (such as economic research, survey research or financial analysis) and many combine two or more areas of expertise. On any given project we will bring together researchers with the best combination of industry, geographic and technical skills to provide the relevant expertise for the particular task
Key Responsibilities include:
- Support the development data science applications in current and future thought leadership for Accenture Research
- Collaborate in raising awareness and understanding of data science research tools and outputs in Accenture and Accenture Research (text analytics, sentiment analysis, data-wrangling, machine learning, web-scraping etc.).
- Interact and collaborate with economists and industry researchers to embed data science inputs into economic models and other research projects
- Build data science research assets that differentiate Accenture Research in the market
What to Expect
Accenture is a company of more than 450,000 employees in 53 countries and your first weeks will be spent getting to know the organization. As you become more familiar with the organization you can expect to start work on one or more projects. There is no typical day or project at Accenture Research but you might start by working on an analysis of one of our clients or potential clients or get involved in developing practical industry growth models, for example of the food industry in Asia, working with a specialist in this area.
Over time you will find a varied project load develops and that you will be working on between two and four projects at any given time, of different durations and scope. You’ll build a good working relationship with the other researchers worldwide. The team operates mainly on a virtual basis.
In terms of career development there will be tremendous scope to expand and build on this role. A dynamic, proactive researcher will find many opportunities to learn and grow at Accenture.
The research team is genuinely a great place to work (we recently scored amongst the highest in the firm for employee engagement). There will be times when you work long and hard but we put life/work balance very high on our agenda.