Organization: Corporate Functions/Research
Location: New York
Accenture is a leading global professional services company, providing a broad range of services and solutions in strategy, consulting, digital, technology and operations. Combining unmatched experience and specialized skills across more than 40 industries and all business functions – underpinned by the world’s largest delivery network – Accenture works at the intersection of business and technology to help clients improve their performance and create sustainable value for their stakeholders. With
approximately 469,000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries, Accenture drives innovation to improve the way the world works and lives. Visit us at www.accenture.com.
Accenture Research is a global, award-winning team providing insights and analysis to Accenture and its clients throughout the world. Joining Accenture Research translates into continual opportunities to expand your career horizons. Our researchers possess a wide variety of skills and backgrounds to create a talented team of collaborative problem-solvers and thought leaders. We hope you’ll want to join us!
About Accenture Research
Accenture Research provides value-adding data, analysis and insights to Accenture and its clients, partnering with senior executives in each of the industries, geographies and businesses. The team focuses on four main areas:
New business opportunities: Helping Accenture understand markets and companies and identifying ways in which we can help clients become high-performing businesses and governments. For example, research outcomes could include an in-depth company diagnostic to review a company’s financial and strategic health and provide strategic implications. Or you may provide an overview of a market assessment on the impact of new technologies, regulation, M&A and other landmark events.
Working directly with clients: You will have the opportunity to partner on client engagements where we work alongside our colleagues from the consulting practice to provide research and industry expertise. Typical work with our clients might be to benchmark a capability or function; to provide best practices in an industry; or project future trends and their likely impact on a client’s businesses. Increasingly researchers have the opportunity to work with client team’s at Accenture’s 10 Innovation Hub locations scattered throughout North America. In this regard, experience in design thinking would be advantageous.
Developing points of view: Accenture needs original, cutting-edge thought leadership to use with clients, the media and in conferences. Accenture Research helps create and write those viewpoints. Many of our projects are published and quoted in the press. Others form the basis for our issue-driven discussions with clients. In all cases the researchers will be expected to contribute research, writing and thought leadership to these projects.
Support to Accenture Growth & Strategy and Practice Enablement: Accenture Research is part of the Growth & Strategy unit which is dedicated to the formulation and implementation of Accenture’s Strategy. Typical work includes analysis of competitors’ moves, market trends and impacts for Accenture. We also develop periodic management reports which provide fresh insights on client performance and the issues clients currently face.
Successful research requires people who not only possess deep research skills but who also have a client-focused mentality and an outgoing and confident personal style. Successful researchers build deep relationships with their peers and senior executives in the practice and work as a team, responding to requests and proposing (and selling) research projects.
We have approximately 300 researchers in 20 countries in our global team, working as a virtual team of subject matter experts. Most specialize in an Industry (such as Financial Services or Consumer Goods) or a Business (such as Strategy or Digital); some bring a particular research skill (such as survey research, financial analysis or data science) and many combine two or more areas of expertise. On any given project, we will bring together researchers with the best combination of industry, geographic and technical skills to provide the relevant expertise for the task.
About the Role
This opening is for the role of Capital Markets Research Manager, based at Accenture’s Innovation Hub location in New York’s SoHo district.
The role is Capital Markets specific, and the successful candidate will focus on developing research projects to support the needs of Accenture’s North America Capital Markets business and its clients. The role requires a significant amount of proactivity and creativity, bringing new ideas for research projects to the attention of key stakeholders in the Capital Markets practice, including the practice lead who is based in New York, as well as helping to define and deliver the sector’s research agenda for 2019 and beyond.
This position will collaborate within our global team of 50 Financial Services (FS) researchers worldwide (of which 5 are based in New York). The successful candidate will work closely with the North American FS Research and Banking Leads (based in New York) and Global FS Research Lead (based in London) to establish the strategy and priorities for the research agenda, drive thought leadership projects, support client engagements, and conduct primary research and business/market development activities.
While it is assumed that the researcher will focus on their area of expertise (i.e. Capital Markets), there may be occasions when they will work on projects beyond this core industry to assist on FS or cross-industry based research. Accenture Research is looking for someone with:
- Strong leadership, stakeholder- and people-management capabilities.
- Exceptional industry knowledge and research skills relating to the Capital Markets industry and the latest global and North America trends impacting it.
- Strong communication skills, presenting, writing and pubic speaking.
The successful candidate will direct the scoping, delivery and quality control of individual research projects, personally conducting research as required. The role combines an understanding of content sources, primary/secondary research techniques and subject matter with knowledge of Accenture and the marketplace, to ensure the team’s delivery of high-value research outputs (i.e. highly synthesized findings derived from existing information and data sources plus our own insights).
A deep understanding of each of the major industry sectors will be a significant advantage for the candidate, including wealth/asset management, the debt/equity markets, investment banking and brokerage and trading services and investment banking. Also, proven track record of (FS or Capital Markets) research projects related to emerging technology (e.g. blockchain, cloud, AI), innovation and/or regulation would be a definite advantage.
We are looking for someone who has the following core skill sets:
- Research skills: Ability to take an issue and turn it into a researchable question and solution. Ability to scope the research effort and cost it accurately. Ability to use most (but not necessarily all) research techniques such as secondary database searching, company analysis, market analysis, strategic analysis frameworks, interview-based research and financial analysis. Researchers must also be detail-oriented and follow quality assurance procedures. A knowledgeable of data science techniques would also be considered an asset.
- Analytical ability: We want researchers who can draw out the implications of the research they do to tell a compelling, business-focused story about the data that is relevant to Accenture’s business and clients. Our customers are looking for insight, not just information. You must be able to work in PowerPoint, Excel and Word (routinely) and create well-structured, clearly written presentations, with graphs and charts and other visual data tools where necessary. Knowledge of other analytical and data visualization tools such as Tableau or Qlik would be advantageous.
- Teaming and communication skills: While you would be based in an office with several other FS (and other industry) researchers, the global FS Research team is also very much a virtual one, and so you will need to have excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to work with colleagues from different cultures and in different locations. Experience of communicating effectively on the telephone or in a remote location would be highly advantageous.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility: Many of our customers are senior-level leaders within (or beyond) the company, and it is vital that you can establish quickly with these stakeholders credibility and professionalism. Researchers should be polished and confident, without being arrogant, and be able to clearly and concisely articulate their points of view. Researchers should be able to present their research findings to external clients and defend their insights.
- Project and team management experience: Knowledge of how to manage complex projects with multiple components, detailed analyses, several stakeholders and team participants. Ability to effectively assign tasks to team members and to manage multiple researchers on cross-border/cross-team research projects – including end-to-end project management skills (e.g. scoping, budgeting, selling, staffing, QA, etc.) and the ability to coach junior team members. Respect of project deadlines and budgets is essential, as well as the ability to anticipate potential issues and identify potential solutions. Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize appropriately will be necessary.
- Ideally, passion for – and a deep understanding of – the industry: Knowledge and understanding of: key Capital Markets industry trends and challenges; how products/services are brought to market; company financial value drivers; key players in North America as well as other key locations, such as London, Hong Kong and Japan; opportunities in developed and emerging markets; and customer trends impacting the industry.
What to expect
Your first weeks will be spent getting to know the organization. Building an effective working relationship with other FS researchers and senior stakeholders in the Capital Markets practice is critical, so your initial weeks will involve many meetings and lots of networking.
At the same time, you’ll be getting to know the other (i.e. non-FS) researchers in New York as well as key North America research locations, including Boston, Chicago, San Francisco and Washington D.C. As you become more familiar with Accenture you can expect to start work on one or more projects. There is no typical day or project at Accenture Research, but you might start by working on an analysis of one of our current/potential clients, developing a point of view on an industry trend or piece of regulation, or looking at how new technologies are impacting the industry.
Over time you will find that a varied project workload and pipeline develop, and that you may be working on several projects (or different durations and scopes) at any given time. Your success in developing and managing such projects will depend on having good working relationships with the other researchers worldwide.
In terms of career development, there will be tremendous scope to expand and build on this role. A dynamic, proactive researcher will find many opportunities to learn and grow at Accenture. Promotion opportunities are not based on time in the role, but on the business need (demand) and the readiness of an individual.
Accenture Research is genuinely a great place to work. There will be times when you work long and hard, but we place life/work balance very high on our agenda. In addition, as part of a global team, we seek to maintain flexibility in our work style. This is a unique opportunity to work for a highly skilled, respected and expanding global research team.
Reports to: North America Financial Services Research Lead