Let’s face it, we spend so much of our lives working. While you should always take pride in your work, it is equally important to have a fulfilling personal life. So what can you do to achieve one without sacrificing the other? Here’s a piece of advice: Bring your hobbies and interests to your job.
To do that, you need to understand first what you value most in your life or work environment. For me, exercising and maintaining an active lifestyle is an important way to recharge. Luckily, there are special interest groups (SIGs) at Accenture where I can conveniently transition from work to personal life when I finish up for the day.
I’m currently involved with two SIGs. The first one is the Badminton SIG. As captain for this SIG, I organize weekly badminton sessions for our members and play in corporate competitions. The second SIG that I’m part of is called The Thrill Seekers. For this SIG, I plan our group’s participation in overseas Spartan races and hiking trips.
Being part of these SIGS has allowed me to realize that joining a club within the company can bring surprising benefits. Allow me to share five reasons why you should devote time to your personal interests at work:
- It develops your leadership skills. Your hobbies may not be directly related to the work you do, but it can teach you a lot. As captain of the Badminton SIG, I learned how to organize activities, delegate tasks and inspire others.
- It expands your network of friends. Joining a community within the company allows you meet colleagues who share your interests. We have a diverse workforce at Accenture which means you get the chance to find encouragement from people who enjoy the same things you do.
- It integrates your passions at work. Think of it as an avenue for self-expression and development. Life at work would be exhausting without a break from your routine. It’s an opportunity for you to develop skills that are completely outside your current capacity.
- It allows your authentic self to shine through. I love sports and outdoor activities. Being involved with these SIGS has given me the chance to showcase my talents, skills and passions in a fun and safe environment.
- It gives you a renewed sense of purpose in your work. One of the valuable benefits of joining a club within the company is that you can align your interests to your goals. It allows you to make the most of your time at the office and create the life experience you want.
What differentiates Accenture as an employer is how our people can bring their whole selves to work. I’m so fortunate that I never had to choose between a rewarding career and a fulfilling personal life. I’ve benefited immensely from joining the SIGs within Accenture and it has enabled me to demonstrate my desire to be unique, to be authentic and to be better at what I do.