Immersive learning is still emerging, but it’s clear that, given the broad range of employee-training applications, XR technology will be critical to the enterprise of the future.
Indeed, industries with high-risk working environments, such as energy, manufacturing or construction, are already reaping the benefits of immersive learning. Now, other industries are exploring the space.
However, business leaders should not use XR just for the sake of trying out the latest flashy tech. If workers have an unfavorable experience, it will hurt more than help.
Well-planned immersive learning can significantly improve the skills and retention rates of your future workforce. We’ve mapped out the benefits, as well as key considerations before you move forward.
Enterprise adoption of immersive learning: Industries with high-risk working environments such as energy, industrial, manufacturing or construction are already experiencing the benefits of immersive learning. Now other industries are exploring the space, including:
Medical training for Students: University School of Medicine in Atlanta uses VR for training surgeons.
Retail training: Walmart uses VR to prepare store managers for Black Friday, America’s biggest shopping day. Walmart is planning to deploy the technology across 200 training centers.
Outside sales reps (OSR) training: United Rentals uses immersive learning for OSRs to bring construction sites into the classroom
Important considerations for enterprise immersive learning
- Identify meaningful immersive use cases - Immersive learning is more successful in use cases that require a first-person perspective and interactive practice and test response.
- Design a compelling user experience - Complex user interfaces (UI) that have a steep learning curve will be counterproductive; instead, design UI that’s simple and fun.
- Build analytics from the start - With VR analytics and automated reports, companies can train, manage and evaluate employees’ hard and soft skill sets to improve training effectiveness.
- Choose appropriate technology - The most important technology decisions center on what type of XR medium is
most appropriate (AR or VR) for the use case, along with other factors.
- Establish a governance board - Immersive learning will be more successful if guided by strong governance
board that identifies success metrics and more.
Get immersed with us
We’ve developed a five-point plan to help clients adopt immersive learning and prepare their future workforces:
- XR strategy – We identify relevant learning areas and conduct a cost-benefit analysis of areas identified.
- Solution architecture – We create detailed technical solutions, performance analysis and road map for an immersive learning implementation.
- Experience development – We design and develop the complete immersive learning experience, including 3-D asset creation/conversion, animation, game-engine development and more.
- Content factory – We provide creation and conversion of 3-D assets at scale to continuously evolve and update training experiences.
- Run operations – We execute operational processes and maintain immersive training solutions that meet success metrics and improve employee job performance.