The future of naval shipbuilding
The naval shipbuilding industry is seeing unprecedented change and disruption, under the impact of trends including rising program costs, expanding international opportunities, and rising pressure from government customers seeking value for money. Together, these trends are creating four imperatives for today’s shipbuilders.
- Deliver and secure margin and time-to-market of complex shipbuilding programs.
- Drive down costs, lead time and quality issues in design, manufacturing and the supply chain.
- Drive innovation towards the creation of the connected ship and the connected fleet.
- Develop new services to increase ship availability and effectiveness in operations.
As the pressure on budgets continues to intensify, naval shipbuilders must do all these things at pace if they are to become competitive internationally.
Digital reinvention is the only option
There is only one way that shipbuilders can rise to all these challenges: by embracing digital reinvention. In Accenture’s view, the way forward is to apply Industry X.0 to power their progress to be the digital leader in the industry. Shipbuilders must consider several considerations to realize maximum value from digital transformation.
- Reinvent the business
As well as consolidating and protecting core business, new revenue streams can be opened.
- Take a lifecycle view
Take a view of the whole lifecycle, from design through build and into service maximises benefits.
- Exploit wide value potential
Value can be realised in several areas from reducing cost to enhancing customer experience and increasing availability.
- Realise benefits for all stakeholders
Benefits can be realised by all stakeholders in the enterprise from builders and operators to the extended supply chain.
- Invest in key digital capabilities
Focus on coordinating effort around growing key digital capabilities, not just deploying point technology solutions.
Digital future in the new maritime ecosystem
- Digital twin and thread across the ecosystem
- Connected ship, naval base and control tower
- Connected workforce
- Digital project control across a connected supply chain
- Digital Shipyard
- Secure, open platform for new digital services
Digital in shipbuilding – it’s not a matter of “if”, but “when”.