Last year, the top 25 US food and beverage companies drove 45 percent of category sales, but only 3 percent of growth. The remaining 97 percent of sales growth was driven by smaller players. Historical market leaders need to take steps to recapture their share of industry growth.
Nielsen Breakthrough Innovation Report, June 2016DOWNLOAD REPORT [PDF]
Accenture conducted an independent assessment of 45+ CPG companies across geographies to identify performance based on four areas: digital strategy, digital production / delivery, digital consumer engagement and digital enterprise.
This “outside-in” view of a company’s digital footprint is based on publicly available data.
We see a tremendous disparity in digital performance across companies, with CPG lagging both disruptors and non-CPG industries.
CPG disruptors and non-CPG industries outperform CPG companies in digital performance by a significant margin.
Taking a holistic approach to the “new”—operating model transformation vs. business model transformation:
Getting started—Brilliant basics:
Be faster, more agile, more relevant—meeting consumers where they engage—and utilizing emerging technologies like AI to drive product development.
Grow the core—Extending reach through modern enterprise:
Move beyond process efficiency and resetting the cost base; transform to an agile organization that links into a broader ecosystem of capabilities and partners.
Grow the new—Beyond renovation to innovation:
Unlock trapped value by exploring new businesses and business models.