Developers are the heartbeat of digital innovation, making a thriving developer ecosystem critically important to the success of any platform or technology. Industry leading companies recognize the need to build a strong relationship with the developer community, but many continue to struggle with how to do it effectively. The first challenge is understanding the variety of players. The developer ecosystem includes company employees, large and small partners, full-time independent developers and a range of part-time, opportunistic developers. Their wants and needs vary greatly, but are specific and highly nuanced.
Through proprietary research with more than 750 US-based developers, Accenture learned what’s important to developers and how they access resources. We gathered developer perspectives on how well 15 of the top platforms perform against their expectations, how ecosystems stack up against each other and which ones are setting industry standards. The study gives companies a novel perspective to benchmark their developer ecosystem against and progress toward best-in-class developer offerings.
Standing out from the crowd
Platform companies that stand out among their competitors offer developers the chance to solve challenging problems in interesting ways. They:
- Inspire developers, by continually pushing technology boundaries and expanding the art of the possible.
- Trust developers, by open-sourcing their code and granting access to their libraries and repositories.
- Educate developers, by providing continually updated and comprehensive learning and certification programs.
- Inform developers, by providing relevant and perpetually up-to-date information written exactly as developers need it to be written.
- Support developers, by being there when needed most, in the ways that each developer group needs them to be.
- Engage developers, by understanding what developers need to be successful and enabling mutually valuable relationships to grow.
- Respect developers, by recognizing the value they provide, the knowledge they possess and that their collective success is intertwined.
In return, the developers they engage help to drive user acquisition and product usage that leads to the platform’s revenue growth and rising market valuation.