The Sustainable Organization:
The Chief Executive Officer's Perspective
For businesses seeking to be high performers in their markets, the nature of sustainability has changed. What once was a sideline issue is now increasingly mainstream, making it a key part of the chief executive officer’s agenda. But most chief executive officers are only just starting to think about what this means for them—and how to lead effectively to deliver a sustainable business.
This report draws on insights and lessons from chief executive officers at the leading edge of sustainability best practice to create a concise framework for assessing and implementing sustainability, whatever industry or geographies a business is operating in.
Chief Executive Officer's Perspectives
For chief executive officers in particular, there are a range of crucial questions to assess, including:
- How can sustainability deliver new value to the organization?
- How can that value be translated into a headline vision for sustainability, but with practical and achievable objectives for all key stakeholders?
- What is the most effective organizational structure to support the embedding of sustainability?
- Does a centralized or decentralized approach makes most sense to execute on this?
- What needs to be done to ensure that sustainability doesn’t get lost within individual departments?
- Which are the key roles that the chief executive officer needs to collaborate with to deliver on these issues?
This report assesses all of these questions, providing specific insights and recommendations on the key actions required. The next report in the series will focus on the chief strategy officer so please visit again for more leaders insights.
Chief Executive Officer Podcast
The first podcast in the series features Idar Kreutzer, the group chief executive officer of Storebrand, an insurance, banking and asset management company that operates in the Nordics. He discusses key areas where sustainability makes a positive contribution to Storebrand.
Download Video Podcast [MP4, 14.1MB]
Download Audio Podcast [MP3, 5.15MB]
Read the full transcript [PDF, 328KB]
Back to homepage